Monday, October 14, 2013

New Adze and a Stack of Reamers for WIA.

Prototype mountain.

For the past six months I have been developing an adze with Pete Galbert.  The intent has been to make a tool that is intuitive to use, easy to control, and doesn't wear out your forearm.  My shop has been overflowing with prototypes and woodchips throughout the process.  Above is but a selection of the prototypes (sans blades).  I am sure that Pete could contribute at least another half dozen to my pile.

I've made bevel-in blades and bevel-out blades, tools balanced with the weight forward of the handle, centered on the handle, and behind the handle, straight handles and extremely curvaceous handles, and I've attached them to the heads at every angle that I could imagine.  I'm pleased to say that we have settled on a geometry and design and I will have two to take with me to Woodworking in America later this week.




More details about the adze soon, just a couple of teasers for now.  I'm thrilled with the looks and performance and I can't wait to get them into other peoples hands.  So if you are going to be at WIA, PLEASE come by and chop up some pine with one of them.  Chips will be flying and we will be making a mess, join in the fun.  I'll be setting up with Pete, Claire Minihan (amazing travishers!), and Caleb James, who I think is bringing some of his planes along.  Stop by to try out some tools and talk chairs and chairmaking.  Oh man!  And to check out the new Drawsharp drawknife sharpener.  I've been using an early prototype for the past few months and I love it.  I've been oogle-ing the pictures that Jameel Abraham posted on the Benchcrafted blog for the past week or so in spare moments.  I can't wait to see the finished tool.

Also for the first time ever I will have reamers available for purchase with no wait.  So stop by and try one out as well.
Reamers.

14 comments:

  1. Very cool Tim. It has a Native American, almost paleolithic look to it. I can't wait to give it a whirl at WIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. I am glad you like them. Definitely strongly influenced by the elbow adzes of the northwest coast. I can't wait to get them into people's hands.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. Some of those handles look bent?.. are you steam (or other) -bending them to shape?

    Thanks for showing that images, such nice tools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The handles are steam bent hickory. A friend who is doing a photojournalism program recently visited my shop to do a project on process. I walked her through shaving and bending the handles and she is going to send me the pictures when she finishes editing them. I plan to post them and write a little bit more about my bending process.

      Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  3. seriously cool!
    I agree, they are very paleolithic, so very different from those available now, just love it!
    my check is in the mail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, I like the way you attach the blade and it gives weight to the head. Looks better than a radiator clamp too, sorry Pete.
    Work of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think I was actually the one who started us down the dark road of the hose clamps.

      I have worked a lot on the look of it, so I'm pleased that you like it.

      Delete
  5. Tim, great meeting you this weekend and talking about your tools and the geeky extents we all go to to find the perfect angle or edge. Remind me again the name of the constant or law you quote to me about angle of bevel and position of the user's hand please? Also here is that short little video I shot of the adze in action

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon,

      Great to meet you. It was nice to put faces to some of the people who I have been conversing with through the blog.

      The theory of adze geometry that I mentioned I believe is called Holmes' Constant. It may be some variation of that spelling. A precursory google search yielded nothing for me, which was a little surprising. Gregg Blomberg of Kestrel Tool wrote a great article about adzes for Fine Woodworking quite a while ago. It is definitely worth a read and I bet you can find it in their online digital archive. I am pretty sure that he references Holmes Constant. That is probably your best bet.

      Let me know what you find.

      Delete
  6. Nice meeting you last weekend TIm. You guys by far had the best booth at WIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. We all had a blast. And we barely had anything to bring home with us, so that was nice too.

      Delete
  7. I don't know what was wrong with me. I never really tried out that adze. I was just so taken with your reamer that I couldn't stop playing with it long enough to swing the adze a few times. Looks awesome and could tell that it is a real sweet tool from the all the carving that was being done.

    That means I just will have to visit your shop or better yet buy one! Keep it going Mann!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Tim, when will you be releasing the Adze? I'm in the market to get an adze in the next 30 days.

    ReplyDelete